Katy's Kitchen

If at first you don't succeed…order pizza!

Lemon Pie

Posted on | May 17, 2010 | 20 Comments

Lemon desserts say summer to me, and this is my absolute favorite. Something about the sour cream in this pie adds a little something special, and once I start eating, I can’t stop. I have to make this for a special occasion or for a time when we are having people over so it disappears quickly. Otherwise, I will be eating a slice every chance I get (for breakfast even). The filling is also very versatile. You can make this pie in a graham cracker crust, a traditional pie crust, or in mini philo or tart shells. Top with Dream Whip or homemade whipped cream and serve it cold. I promise, it will be a hit however you serve it.

Lemon Pie

I c. sugar

3 T. cornstarch

1 c. milk

3 egg yolks

1/4 c. butter

1/4 c. lemon juice

1 small carton sour cream

1 9 inch pie crust (graham cracker or regular, already baked)

Dream Whip or whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, mix together cornstarch, sugar and milk. Over medium to medium high heat, cook mixture until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Beat egg yolks in a small bowl and pour in a small amount of custard mixture and mix well. Slowly pour egg yolks back into pan of custard while stirring. Return to heat and bring to a boil. Cook for an additional two minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add butter and lemon juice. Stir in sour cream and pour into pie shell. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Before serving, top with Dream Whip or whipped cream.

Source: Adapted from The Lady and Sons Just Desserts Cookbook by Paula Deen

Comments

20 Responses to “Lemon Pie”

1. Buck
    May 20th, 2010 @ 4:12 am

How lovely! It’s sort of a cross between a classic meringue base and a chess pie! I’ll have to try this one!

2. Kathy
    May 23rd, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

Ohh, I just love lemon pie they are soo delicious. thanks for your beautiful recipe.

3. Megan
    June 28th, 2010 @ 2:32 am

Well, I just love lemon pie they are soo delicious. thanks for your beautiful recipe. thanx for posting.

4. Kara
    July 1st, 2010 @ 4:55 am

Perfect!! Not too sweet, not too tart. The first time I made this I thought I bit off more than I could chew. You definitely have to have make sure you have all ingredients measured and at your fingertips before you begin.

5. Katy
    July 1st, 2010 @ 9:08 pm

That is true…it moves quickly once you start, but is still not a very difficult recipe and SO worth it in the end! :)

6. Samantha
    July 2nd, 2010 @ 10:55 pm

Wow, It’s sort of a cross between a classic meringue base and a chess pie! I’ll have to try this one at home, thanx for posting.

7. Samantha
    July 4th, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

I think You definitely have to have make sure you have all ingredients measured and at your fingertips before you begin. Thanx for the share.

8. Kristen
    July 6th, 2010 @ 1:15 am

I just love lemon pie they are soo delicious. I’ll have to try this one! thanx for posting.

9. Victoria
    July 7th, 2010 @ 11:41 am

Delicious!! This was my first time making Lemon Meringue and it turned out great! I did substitute milk for the water – just because I like it creamier – other than that followed instructions to a T

10. Victoria
    July 8th, 2010 @ 3:24 pm

pretty fantastic! big hit on father’s day! i doubled the recipe for 2 pies and didn’t have any trouble-filling was nice, thick, shiny… and good!

11. Lynn
    July 9th, 2010 @ 11:19 am

I really love pie, one of my favorite is strawberry pie. But i’d like to try this one too. Thank you for the recipes.

12. Jane
    July 10th, 2010 @ 5:03 am

Yummy, I just love lemon pie they are so delicious. thanks for your beautiful recipe. thanx for the post.

13. Katie
    July 14th, 2010 @ 2:13 am

I never tried a lemon pie but I’m sure it taste good too…I was amazed after I saw the picture posted. Thats very delicious.

14. Kayla
    July 14th, 2010 @ 4:20 am

Well, I just love lemon pie they are soo delicious. thanks for your beautiful recipe. keep it up.

15. jillian
    July 16th, 2010 @ 9:40 am

I am looking for a recipe for a really delicious lemon pie!
    Either meringue, or custard base.

16. Jean
    July 20th, 2010 @ 8:19 am

Oh My Goodness!!!! This has got to be the best pie EVER! I will definitely make this again, and just be forewarned this is extremely rich.

17. Jennifer
    August 1st, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

No need to “tweak” this recipe because it is absolutely first rate as is—just like my own grandma used to make. Simple, tasty, down home goodness.

18. Brittany
    August 13th, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

My first attempt to make lemon pie and it was absolutely outstanding! Thank you for sharing!

19. Becky
    September 22nd, 2010 @ 6:51 am

Very simple, and tasted great. This went so fast in my house. I will be making this again soon.

20. Sadie
    October 19th, 2010 @ 5:30 am

Absolutely fantastic! It tasted so good and nothing went wrong, I didn’t have to change a thing! Definitely a success.