Katy's Kitchen

If at first you don't succeed…order pizza!

Chicken Taco Seasoning

Posted on | April 21, 2010 | 16 Comments

We had a baseball game tonight, and Jason wanted me to stop and pick something up on the way home because it was already getting late and everyone was starving. Nothing sounded good, and I knew that I had leftover diced chicken in the fridge from last night’s herb roasted chicken. I also knew that I had whole wheat tortillas, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, cheese and plain yogurt (my healthy substitute for sour cream – tastes the same for much fewer calories) in the fridge. What I didn’t know was if I had chicken taco seasoning, though I knew I had regular taco seasoning. I knew that tacos would be quick and easy, but I didn’t want to thaw hamburger meat. Turns out, I didn’t have chicken taco seasoning when I got home, so I googled it and found this great recipe for homemade. I’ve never made my own seasoning…I’ve always just used the McCormick packets. I don’t think I’ll ever use those packets again. Man, these were SO good. They tasted really fresh and I’m sure had much less sodium than the packet seasoned chicken. You wouldn’t think there’s that much difference in buying it versus making your own, but I’m telling you that the homemade is so much better. You can make this in double or triple batches or more and it will keep in an airtight container for about 6 months in your pantry. I used the leftover chicken from a 3 1/2 or 4 pound chicken, which probably yielded about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of meat. This recipe yields just a little bit more than comes in one packet, so adjust the seasoning according to how much meat you have and how heavily you like your chicken seasoned. This seasoning is very mild, so don’t be afraid to add a lot, but taste as you go.

The way I made these tacos was to place the meat in a large pan and added one batch of seasoning to about two pounds(maybe a litttle less) of cooked, diced chicken. I added about 1/4 cup of water to the pan as well and cooked the chicken over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until the meat was heated through and the water had evaporated. You can also make chicken taco meat in the crock pot, and the I’ve put the recipe at the end of this post.

Chicken Taco Seasoning

3 tsp. chili powder

2 1/2 tsp. paprika

2 1/4 tsp. cumin

1 1/4 tsp. onion powder

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Dash cayenned pepper

Mix all spices together in a small bowl. One batch makes 9 tsp. seasoning, and there are about 2 heaping tablespoons of seasoning in one taco seasoning packet. Store in an airtight container for up to six months.

Chicken Taco Meat in the Crock Pot

3 frozen boneless skineless chicken breasts

1 batch chicken taco seasoning

1 c. chicken broth or water or 1 can Rotel tomatoes, undrained

Place all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Before serving, remove meat from the crock pot and shred with a fork and return to juices. To freeze, place the meat and juices in a large freezer bag and freeze. To serve, thaw and reheat.

*If you can shred the meat halfway through cooking time,then return it to the crock pot to finish cooking, it will soak up more of the juices and seasoning and will result in a more flavorful meat.

Source: Adapted from Mex-Recipes.com

Comments

16 Responses to “Chicken Taco Seasoning”

1. Nikki
    April 22nd, 2010 @ 6:57 am

Instead of water…add 1-2 cans of rotel tomatoes…makes the perfect chicken taco!

2. katy
    April 22nd, 2010 @ 4:43 pm

Mmmm…that sounds good! I will try it! Thanks for the tip.

3. Quick and Easy Chicken Rice Dish – and It’s Perfect for Diabetics, Too! | All recipes, all recipes recipies, all the best recepies, recipies all
    May 21st, 2010 @ 9:26 am

[...] Chicken Taco Seasoning : Katy's Kitchen [...]

4. Finding the best CNA School
    May 23rd, 2010 @ 3:54 am

nice post. thanks.

5. physical therapist
    May 24th, 2010 @ 11:29 am

Valuable info. Lucky me I found your site by accident, I bookmarked it.

6. Albert Maruggi
    September 12th, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

used this recipe tonight worked out great. Used the chicken broth and didn’t let it dry out. thanks

7. Quick and Easy Chicken Rice Dish – And It’s Perfect For Diabetics, Too! » Cindy Conrad
    February 8th, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

[...] Chicken Taco Seasoning : I knew that tacos would be quick and easy, but I didn’t want to … Quick and Easy Chicken Rice Dish – and It’s Perfect for Diabetics, Too! All recipes, all recipes recipies … [...]

8. Jay W.
    August 25th, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

Oh my lord….these tacos….hold on…these tacos right here?….look man. If you’re looking at this recipe right now….make these freakin tacos. Minced some onion and garlic, threw it in there as well…..BOOM! Greatness on a taco.

9. Katy
    August 27th, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

This made me laugh…glad you liked them!

10. supercoolsarah
    October 3rd, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

Lmao! Jay, I love you, that is hilarious. and yes, amazing seasoning recipe thank you.

11. Beck
    December 21st, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

Trying this tonight. I have everything in the crock pot right now, but I’m using boneless, skinless thighs instead cause that’s what I had on hand. Fingers crossed! :) Thanks!

12. Amber Mann
    June 10th, 2012 @ 9:13 pm

I make the crock pot tacos with taco season mix and a 16 ounce jar of salsa. Very good! I have never tried the Rotel tomatoes though.

13. Tamme
    August 15th, 2012 @ 6:24 pm

What is the spicy rating on this recipe anyone? I’m making these for my 5 year old son. Thanks!

14. Katy
    October 25th, 2012 @ 8:39 am

It is not spicy at all. My little one asks, “Is it spicy?” for everything lately and he loves this dish. Enjoy!

15. Heather
    July 24th, 2013 @ 4:43 pm

Are you really supposed to use the whole batch of seasoning for the crockpot recipe?!?

16. Menlo
    December 16th, 2013 @ 2:53 am

This is THE best! I love the fact that if you use a little of the seasoning it makes for flavorful chicken tacos if your add more it gets spicier. I take cAre of my 93 year old grandmother and she really enjoys these. I add a little extra seasoning on mine and it is the right level of spiciness for me.
    I am actually giving this to my family for Christmas in little jars. Thank you so much for creating something everyone can eat!